Tuesday 9 October 2012

Update from my world..

Hey everyone!

Hope you are all well, and no one is suffering to badly with anything!

I have just had a short (ish) stint in hospital (5 days)

I'd been having some issues with going to the loo; tried everything but the situation just got worse. I started to feel really very sick all the time and knew I needed some help when I started to get a fever. I thought it'd be a case of a couple of days laxatives and I'd be cool! I was wrong!

I went down to the hospital and I was admitted straight away, the usual abdo x-rays, bloods and lots of issues cannulating and getting blood (still waiting on the hickman line) my blood pressure was low and heat rate was at 140BPM as was in quite a bit of pain, whole colon was spasming like no ones business and I had pain higher up. I was being pretty sick by this stage too.
The next thing I had a consultant down who said I needed to be catheterised and the old NG tube down immediately and lots of fluids as I was dehydrated and I'd need 2 different strong IV antibiotics.

It came back that I had a bowel infection from a crohn's exacerbation and my bowel just stopped working for awhile . Thankfully, a couple of days and it kicked back into action (with some laxatives) and I started to feel a bit more human! The doctors were pretty worried at some points with the severity of the tachycardia but I came out of it at least!!

Whilst I was in, I started getting the sores around my mouth and a real sore throat (which I put down to the NG tube, yuk!!!0 and a rash on my hands and feet.. I asked the doctor if he thought it was a reaction to the IV antibiotics (although I have had both of them before with no issues) and he thought no, it was probably a heat rash as I was quite warm. I was so glad to get home! I had to log on to work from home the next day; I hate letting them down! :(

The next day I felt completely snotty and coldy.. Rash was worse, so was sores around my mouth! I thought I'd ring my GP about getting something for my mouth as was worried about it getting infected with my lower immune system as it was very painful! I went across and they thought I had picked up hand, foot and mouth virus from the hospital!! How much bad luck can a person have??! lol I got steroid creams and antibiotic cream from my mouth (was already on 2 oral antibiotics) and told I was probably contagious, but people with a normal immune system would fight it off easily. I still didn't want to risk going into the office in case there were people with lowered systems, like me.. Or more importantly any pregnant women, so I have been working from home this week. I still feel full of a cold, it doesn't seem to be wanting to shift, but hopefully it will soon!

Bye for now x

No comments:

Post a Comment