Wednesday 12 September 2012

Rheumatology Appointment

Good evening!

Time for an update on today's Rheumatology Appointment. I had to drive from Milton Keynes to Kettering (about an hour) and by the time I got there, my hands and left ankle were even more swollen and really painful. I only usually drive short distances now, but had to do it today..

I got there and waited awhile before the nurse took me through I hobbled in because my ankle was giving me jip, my consultant instantly noticed and asked to see the joint.. As soon as he saw it he asked if he could convince me to start on oral steroids, which I said no, as I really do dislike the side effects from them. He then went on to have a look at other joints and said would I consider getting cortisone steroid shots into the worst effected joints at the end of the appointment as it'd help me with the pain... I agreed to that one. I'd rather that than take regular oral steroids, that's for sure!!!! 

He was basically audio taping his letter to the vascular surgeons with me being there, so I could hear what he was saying. It was the first time I had heard him say that it was a definite diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis based on blood and scans. He did say he was gobsmacked and disgusted that my gastro doctor finds it acceptable to only take blood whenever he feels like it when I'm on immuno drugs, and with femoral stabs for monitoring! He said he would want to be able to monitor my blood every month without fail, as it can be potentially life threatening. He also said using the central veins for long term monitoring is a no no, as it will then damage those veins like my arms and feet are. He said as soon as we figure out the access (hickman, picc or something) he will give me methotrexate to try, but he did say that some people really can't tolerate that (my gastro put a dampener on that saying it was "toxic" and pointing out all of the bad things about it!!!) I pray to god they don't meet each other as it'd be world war 3!
I tend to get sick anyway, so he's not holding up hope my body will cope with it.. The next stage is humira/infliximab which will be great for the crohns too, but hey we will see! Got to sort the access first...

Next, it was time to get shots.. The nurse and him took me through and did them. He said he couldn't believe I didn't even flinch, my response was when you've been through all the cannula problems and femoral stabs I have, that seemed pretty easy!! He said to the nurse he thought considering all I was going through I was upbeat and smiley, not always though I told him!! The nurse then piped up saying she also couldn't believe any doctor would find it acceptable to not monitor the bloods as per protocol for immunosuppresives.. But hey, my gastro can be a dick at the best of times.. Actually, make that pretty much always!!! They also gave me some super sexy wrist splints to wear... Aren't they lovely?! NOT!!! I bet you are all wishing you could join this club!! 





Talking of the gastro doc, I heard from his secretary today about my upcoming "procedure" (can hardly wait!!!) she said they are thinking 26th to be there at 4.30pm, for the op at 6pm.. I've emailed back questioning that; as if they think they are turfing me out of the hospital 2 hours after a GA they can think again. I was really sick last time and it took me some hours to come around, I can't come back around kids until I'm straight headed, especially as hubby will be in India then too. I'm wondering if i'll stay in the night... Knowing my gastro though, he'll say it's fine for me to leave that night!!! We will see! I don't think you are meant to be discharged right after a GA. Anyone know??!

Well, that's all from me.. Boring probably!! Next stop: Sehcat Bile Study Part 2 on Friday!!! ARRRRGGGHHHH!!

T

No comments:

Post a Comment